Data Modelling for Business Analysts
This 2-day business analysis training course provides an introduction to data modelling appropriate to those working as business analysts. Delegates will learn how and why data models are used, how to draw entity relationship and class diagrams, and define and document attributes.
This course is aimed at business analysts, consultants or other change management professionals with little or no experience of how to produce a data model. The course can be tailored to cover either entity modelling, class modelling, or a combination of both.
Classroom and virtual (although classroom is recommended wherever feasible).
This course is not available in our public schedule but is available for on-site delivery.
Our virtual classroom training courses are delivered via Zoom.
Our course tutors are practising business change professionals who have been using and teaching data modelling for over 10 years.
By the end of the course the delegate will be able to:
- Understand the purpose and benefits of data modelling
- Decide when to use Data Models
- Draw Entity Relationship and Class diagrams
- Define and document attributes
- Understand how data models become physical databases
- Confidently present findings to their peer group and project team
We find that individual clients have quite different needs in terms of this type of training. The following course structure represents one possible approach. Please let us know if you would like to change this structure. One of our experienced training consultants will be happy to discuss with you.
- Introduction to data modelling
- Identifying entities
- Adding and naming relationships
- Mandatory and optional relationships
- Business rules and data
- Introduction to description/type entities
- Modelling rules – resolving one to one and many to many relationships
- Identifying and defining attributes and keys
- Comparison between entity models and class diagrams
- Normalisation and Third Normal Form
- Advanced data modelling techniques
- Physical translation to databases
- Conclusions and Feedback
There is no examination for this course, so the focus is entirely on practical application in the workplace.
Additional course information
Course timings depend on the client’s individual needs but are recommended to run from 09:00 to 17:00 each day.
To arrange this course
For more information, or to arrange this training course for your organisation, please contact Peter Kovacs on 0207 112 8982 or e-mail Quotes@BA-Solutions.co.uk