Managing the Human Factors of Change
This course is available for on-site delivery only.
If you would like to arrange for this course to be held on-site at your offices for a group of delegates from your organisation then please contact us.
This three-day course focuses on learning practical business change skills which will make change work effectively for you and the people within your organisation.
Change is often uncomfortable, but it need not be, and this course is designed to show how change can be effected in such a way that everyone impacted by, and involved with change wants to be a part of the change and for those changes to stick.
Organisations often have well defined processes for implementing business change but often neglect the human factors which can result in failure, or, a reduction in benefits.
McKinsey consulting research indicates that over 70% of change programmes fail to achieve their stated goals. This is due to several issues both internal and external – human factors being a major cause. The course brings together a framework for change from both a process and human factors element ensuring that issues such as fear, conflict, employee resistance, politics, poor sponsorship, risk and measurement are managed effectively. It also provides an ongoing 'Risk Assessment' tool, which can be used to delay the launch of a programme, suspend/bail-out if you are likely to fail, or even demand a complete rethink before you ever launch. The cost of failure easily exceeds the cost of reschedule or redesign, but people (especially business leaders) don't want to hear this.
Course delegates should be able to return to their workplace with a clear plan of how to implement change, from both a human and a process perspective.
The course is highly interactive and practical, with a significant proportion of time spent doing practical exercises. Delegates are encouraged to learn through group exercises including detailed case studies and examples of successful and unsuccessful change programmes from the real world.
During the course, delegates will build a common language and understanding around the changes they are tasked with delivering and will build bonds with each other allowing them to form support groups that endure beyond the course.
We will be provide alumni refresher sessions to allow those who have attended the course to come together and share their experiences of putting the course into practice.
The course delivery team will be available to offer advice after the course once the delegate is back in their workplace.
This course does not include an exam which means that the focus of training is entirely on practical application in the workplace.
This course is intended for anyone who needs to effect lasting and well managed change in their team and/or organisation. This could range from technical teams needing to design and manage change around behaviour to do with new systems, to management teams looking to reimagine the working environment and outcomes of those in their organisations.
This course is suitable for:
- Senior managers who want to drive effective change within their own organisation
- Middle management roles who need to implement and manage change within the organisation
- Business change professionals such as Programme Managers, Project Managers and Business Analysts who need to manage human factors when developing new systems and processes
- Those already managing change and requiring new techniques and skills to improve effectiveness
This course is designed for those who want to learn how to positively manage the human factors of change within their organisation. This includes large projects and programmes of work as well as on-going business change, ensuring that the human factors are not forgotten.
By the end of the course the delegate will be able to:
- Develop a clear vision for change which engages all involved and energises the desire for successful outcomes
- Engage people at all levels
- Build teams across the business to gather momentum and cohesion
- Work with business stakeholders to define, scope and initiate a plan to facilitate the change
- Break down the barriers to change, build communication whilst using the future vision to create enthusiasm for overall success
- Support the business to implement the change
- Gauge belief and establish realistic expectation of the best that can actually be achieved
- Adjust the plan in line with a validated process
- Define and approve human milestones
- Develop measures to ensure the change endures and assists the organisation to thrive
The course is organised into the following sections:
- Confirming the need for change and describing the desired end result
- Gaining 'Exec Committee' support
- Drawing up a project plan for change – identifying blocks
- Human Factors 'Risk Assessment'
- Mobilising middle management
- Developing the dream team
- Communication and review
- Defining and measuring success
- Dealing with the issues around change
For a full description of these modules and to download the course overview please click here.
The following case studies are used during the course:
- Implementing a Customer Relationship Management system
- Design and implementation of a culture and process change in a successful multi-national organisation
- Innovation: building a Start-Up business within a business
- Major transformations: underestimating the challenge of long term culture shift
- Living with the lie: headcount reduction in disguise
Courses are delivered in a classroom environment set-up to encourage group discussion and interaction. There are frequent exercises to allow delegates to practise techniques being learnt. Exercises are performed both individually and in groups depending on the topic and relevance to practical application.
Delegates are encouraged to feedback and discuss their findings in short informal presentations to build an understanding of alternative ideas and encourage discussion.
Delegates are provided with a printed course manual containing copies of the course slides and a workbook containing exercises, case study material and sample answers.
The duration of this course is three days. Courses run daily from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm. There is no examination. Please contact us for a quote to hold this course on-site at your offices.