Fundamentals of Agile Business Analysis
Our Fundamentals of Agile Business Analysis training course is available to be delivered on-site at your organisation at a time to suit you.
This 4 day course focuses on learning practical business analysis skills that can be applied in the workplace. It is aimed at inexperienced or trainee business analysts working within agile project environments. General principles and techniques of business analysis are covered but with a particular emphasis on those used within Agile and Scrum.
The course is run in the style of an agile project during which the delegates will attend daily stand-ups, produce a product vision and user stories, perform poker planning and interview product owners and engage with other stakeholders. A simple case study is used throughout the course enabling attendees to experience the lifecycle of an agile project and the deliverables produced.
Course delegates should return to their working environments and be able to work as an effective business analyst, immediately adding value and building effective relationships with project stakeholders.
This version of the course does not include an exam which means that the focus of training is entirely on practical application in the workplace.
The course is aimed at business analysts who are new to the role and are working within an agile project environment. Around half a day is spent providing background and an overview of general Agile and Scrum principles.
The course will also be suitable for those working as project managers, scrum masters, developers and product owners who want an insight into the role of business analysts within an agile environment.
This non-exam based course is particularly suited to those who may not speak English as a first language and/or anyone who wants to build an understanding of business analysis without the distractions around passing an exam.
The focus of the course is on working within an IT project environment recognising that most agile projects will relate to the development or enhancement of IT systems. IT or technical knowledge is not a prerequisite.
Due to its highly practical nature, our recommended maximum number of delegates for this course is 9.
This course is not intended for experienced BAs wishing to transition into an agile environment – this level of training is covered by our course titled 'Business Analysis in an Agile Environment'.
By the end of the course the attendee will be able to:
- Integrate into an agile project or team environment with an understanding of their role, key responsibilities and relationship with fellow project members
- Understand the principles of Agile and Scrum
- Work with stakeholders to define the Product Vision
- Apply 80:20 and end-to-end thinking to deliver early business value and 'right first time' solutions
- Work with stakeholders to gather and document epics, user stories/features and acceptance criteria
- Work with stakeholders to define the MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- Work with stakeholders to prioritise and manage the product backlog
- Perform sprint planning
- Understand the use of, and contribute to retrospectives
- Build relationships with stakeholders to develop optimal solutions to defined requirements
- Confidently present findings to business stakeholders and their project team
- Understand and apply modelling techniques that support business analysis (including process modelling, use cases and entity/class models)
- Adopt an agile mindset
The course is split into a number of different sections. After initial context setting and understanding basic rules of business analysis, the principles of agile and scrum are introduced. Delegates then start work on the case study initially producing the project vision and a product backlog. Work then starts on developing deliverables for sprints. Each day always starts with a daily stand-up to discuss the day ahead and includes role-play sessions to illustrate the various activities undertaken by an agile business analyst.
Each day of training is broken down as follows:
- Day 1 - The role of the Agile Business Analyst
- Day 2 - Starting an agile project
- Day 3 - Moving through the sprints
Day 4 - Business Analysis Tools and Techniques
For a printable version of the full course overview including a description of the above modules please >>click here.
Pre-work is not required for this course.
The duration of this course is four days. Courses run from approximately 9.00 until 5.30 daily.
This course does not include a formal examination.
Additional Modules for on-site Clients
On-site clients can choose to select any of the following additional modules which may be used to extend the course duration, or to replace some of the content listed above:
- Test Scripting and Test Execution
- User Experience Basics
- Data Conversion for BAs
- Business Case and Finance Basics
- Working with Offshore Development Teams
- Agile Basics for BAs
Details of the content of the above modules is available upon request.
To arrange a Fundamentals of Agile Business Analysis training course for your organisation please contact us. You can call us on 0207 112 8982 or e-mail Bev@BA-Solutions.co.uk